Zeatre is a theatre review blog documenting my trips to the theatre and my personal experiences.

Sunday, January 3, 2016

In The Heights 02.16.16

In The Heights
Location: Kings Cross Theatre
Date Seen: 2nd January 2016
Seen With: 1 Friend
Understudies at This Performance: Vas Constanti as Kevin, Philippa Stefani as Daniela, Nathan Amzi as Piragua Guy

Summary
Before seeing In The Heights, I knew little about the plot or the musical style. Without giving too much away, it explores the lives of a community living in Washington Heights in New York through a time where rents are rising forcing people out of the area. The residents deal with a heat wave and conflicting relationships whilst dreaming of better lives.

Acting
The thing that impressed me about this show was that I believed every word that was spoken or sung by each character about their situation. Everyone who stepped on the stage was alive to everything and everyone around them and what I saw felt like the first time these people had been through these events.

Music & Songs
Lin-Manuel Miranda’s music is energetic and vibrant, capturing the spirit of the community living in Washington Heights. It also has some very poignant moments which contrast beautifully. My song highlight of the show was Josie Benson’s rendition of ‘Enough’ - her strong vocals absolutely blew me away. The musical style which I can describe as a South American/Rap fusion with powerful ballads makes for a musically interesting and captivating show.  

Choreography
Like the music, Drew Mconie’s choreography embodies the culture of the people in Washington Heights. Mostly high tempo, the numbers are a fusion of South American and street styles with undertones of contemporary dance. The ensemble is completely in tune with each other making for a spectacular visual for the audience. Stand out numbers for me were 96,000 and The Club which incorporate different tempos and styles.

Set/Lighting
The show is performed on a traverse stage. I’ve seen shows like this before and I personally always feel more immersed in what’s going on. The set is simple with two buildings at each end of the stage depicting Usnavi’s bodega, Rossario’s taxi firm and Daniella’s salon. Smaller set items are brought on by the ensemble in effortless transitions. The lighting design enhances this show and captures the atmosphere of the various locations our characters visit. One minute you’ll be in Washington Heights with the sun beating down and then you’ll be in a bar with strobe lighting.

Costumes
The costumes by Gabriella Slade were simple and was all they needed to be to be effective. Bold colours and prints set the scene and don’t distract from what is going on onstage.

Stand Out Performances
Jade Ewen as Vanessa: I was particularly interested in her performance knowing that she will be playing Princess Jasmine in the upcoming production of Aladdin - the Disney Film and Broadway show I love so much. I was blown away by her vocals and her stage presence and I am greatly anticipating seeing her at the Prince Edward Theatre later this year.

Sam Mackay as Usnavi: For me, he was my personal star of the show. His vocals and raw emotion on stage had me hooked as soon as he walked onto stage.

Philippa Stefani as Daniela: For me she nailed the sassiness of this salon owner to a tee. I love seeing understudies excel in the roles they cover so this was a real treat.

Show to Show Comparisons
Unlike my recent visit to see wonder.land, the lyrics feel natural and full of emotion unlike the clunky feel of those in the National’s current production.

Would I Recommend?
Absolutely – the modern setting will appeal to wide audience

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):
5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment